Wakefield Poets Win Louder Than a Bomb Slam for First Time in History of School

Our Wakefield Poets won the Louder Than a Bomb Poetry Slam for the FIRST TIME in Wakefield History! Special thanks to our friends at HB Woodlawn for sharing their super star documentarian and recent graduate Fernando Rocha, and to our Broadcast Journalism student LG Mengesha. LG and Fernando spent countless hours with our poets to document their practices, preliminary performances at Wilson High School, and final performance at The Kennedy Center.

Ms. Wathen, Poetry Club Sponsor and Broadcast Journalism teacher, had this to say about the team’s win, “It was beautiful to see everyone sharing their poetry, collaborating on lines, and just being there for each other. These poets wrote completely new poems for the final stage. They really gave everything they had for their performances at The Kennedy Center. These poets helped to start Poetry Club when they were sophomores. It is fitting that they win the highest honor a school can receive in poetry the year they graduate. Congratulations to all of the poets who performed at preliminaries and the final stage. The DMV Poetry Community is stunning. I am glad that Wakefield can be a part of it.”