Freedom Rider at Wakefield

Joan Mulhollland visited Wakefield to help students see the impact they can have on the world.

Joan Mulholland, a freedom rider and a civil rights activist visited the house of the Warriors for Ms. Hunt’s U.S. Government class last month. Ms. Hunt invited Mulholland to visit to help students understand the foundations of the U.S. Government. Who is a freedom rider? Ms. Hunt stated, “people who challenged the states’ laws in the south segregating white and black individuals on public transportation were freedom riders.” The students engaged in conversations about Mulholland’s job as a civil right activist. Mulholland kept the audience riveted with stories of beating the oppression of segregation laws, and humbling stories of how being a freedom rider negatively impacted her family life. The interaction helped students connect the textbook unit being studied to a real person. Ms. Hunt smiled as she shared, “Ms. Mulholland is just an ordinary person like every one of us; she sent her own kid to WHS too! She kept emphasizing this over and over.” Ms. Hunt plans to welcome a variety of important guests to Wakefield to help bring U.S. Government alive for her students. Students asked Mulholland what they could do today to help better the country; what is their generations’ fight? According to this Freedom Rider, our generation’s issue really depends on our own relevant ideas, our passions. The most popular suggestion she gave among students was fair immigration laws. She gave a  lot of great advice on how to be a modern day freedom rider; use social media to promote awareness and strengthen the cause, try to think outside the box and use technology to support the cause for which you decide to fight. Mulholland ended her visit with the idea that, “ordinary people can make choices that impact the world. It’s up to you to do something good.”