Winter Formal: How To Tie a Tie

You may need to know this for the Winter Formal on February 8th.

Eman Eman '15, Staff Writer

As I get closer to being an adult, I realize that ties are more and more important in my world. I need them for work, dances, and special events. What confuses me is that it seems like only a handful of students know how to tie a tie based on the help I see young men receiving in the hallways on Cohort dress up days.

It’s actually quite simple to tie a tie, but people get confused and stop trying. There are many ways to tie a tie like the Windsor, Four-In-Hand, Prince Albert. This article will just focus on the simplest way to tie a tie.

First, start with the backside of the tie facing away from you, the wide end should be in the right hand, and the narrow end should be in the left hand. The tip of the small end should be slightly above the belly button. Second, put the wide end under the small end to the left. Then, pull the wide end to the right over the small end.

It is starting to feel like a lot of work, but the task is almost complete. Now, push the wide end up into the loop from underneath and then down through the loop; you’ve just made in the front knot. You are done! Just pull down on the wide end to tighten the knot. You have just successfully tied your first tie. Now that you know what to do, it won’t be the last time, I promise you that.