Employees of The Year Exemplify Wakefield’s Values

Each year, Wakefield chooses a handful of outstanding employees to earn the title “Employee of the Year.” Although there are many spectacular employees here at Wakefield, only a few can be picked. These are the employees of the 2017-2018 school year: Boramy Nginn, John Clisham, Fernando Castro, and David Criollo.

The Chieftain had the opportunity to sit down and chat with these admired employees; we talked about what this title means to them, and how Wakefield has impacted them.

Ms. Boramy Nginn is a HILT instructional assistant teacher here at Wakefield. When talking about Ms. Nginn, veteran Wakefield teacher, Ms. Hsu said, “she is a teacher for all teachers, and a nurturer for her students. She exemplifies the true dedication and commitment of a lifelong educator.” One of Ms. Nginn’s favorite things about working at Wakefield is, “seeing the growth of students, even beyond high school. I was an immigrant myself, so I understand what it’s like to learn a new language and culture.” Ms. Nginn is very close to all her students, she said, “I see potential in each and every student; that’s what I’m here for.”

One of the extraordinary employees of the year is Principal’s Administrative Assistant, Mr. David Criollo. When talking to Mr. Criollo about what employee of the year means to him, he said, “I was a student here at Wakefield, and some of my teachers still teach here. I think in honoring me with the title employee of the year means they’re honoring themselves. Because I am a product of their hard work.” Mr. Criollo’s hard work does not go unnoticed, Treasurer Luisa Barba said, “He’s very friendly, and is always willing to help.”

Another beloved employee here at Wakefield is Custodial Building Supervisor, Mr. Fernando Castro. When asked about his journey at Wakefield, Mr. Castro said, “I’ve been working at Wakefield for 22 years now, and I started off as a custodian. Now I am the Custodial Building Supervisor. I thank God that they selected me for this job.” Mr. Castro is inarguably one of Wakefield’s hardest workers. He made sure to recognize everyone who helped him earn this title, and said, “I really, really appreciate all the support they (teachers and administrators) have given me.”

Last, but most certainly not least, our Career and College Counselor, Mr. John Clisham. Mr. Clisham has been working here at Wakefield for 28 years, and counting! When asked what his favorite things about Wakefield are, Mr. Clisham said, “the kids. Getting to do what I do is very rewarding. Also, all the core beliefs I have; equality and diversity, come true here at this school.” Mr. Clisham is a very cherished teacher at Wakefield, and is loved by many.

Employee of the year is based off hard work and dedication. The employees of this school year embody this title without a doubt. To all of our employees at Wakefield, your hard work does not go unnoticed! The Chieftain would like to thank all of the Wakefield staff, because Wakefield wouldn’t feel like home without them.

About the Writers
Elena Arrowsmith '19, Co Editor-in-Chief
My name is Elena. I’m a junior and this is my third year on The Chieftain! I love to go to amusement parks, and I also really love shrimp. I was the Arts and Entertainment Editor last year, so I like writing about music, arts and everything in between. I’m excited to be the Co...
Alejandra Galdo Hernandez '20, Staff Writer
Alejandra Galdo Hernandez is a Sophomore this year and will graduate with the class of 2020. Although her vision is not 20/20, her kind heart and positive attitude make up for it. When not in school she enjoys watching shows on Netflix like The Office and Atypical. She also enjoys reading, spending time with friends,...
1 Comment

One Response to “Employees of The Year Exemplify Wakefield’s Values”

1. Ms. Cottrell on February 8th, 2018 6:18 pm

So proud of all four of you! I feel lucky to call you my colleagues.

[Reply]

• Employees of The Year Exemplify Wakefield’s Values

Features

Graduation 2018 was ALL CAPS!

Features

Mr. DeFranco Retires Leaving a Legacy Behind

Features

Students of the Month End the Year Right

Features

What Happens inside the ISS?

Features

5 Tips To Get through the Last 15 Days

Features

Our Students of The Month Are Going Strong

Features

Wakefield’s Amazing Asian Club is Amazing

Features

Wakefield Blows Away the Competition at Louder Than a Bomb Slam

Features

Vince Kasper Award Winners Get a Surprise!

Features

Students of the Month Give Advice on How to End the Year Strong