Jenna Alcorn’s Semester Abroad

Flying 20,000 feet above the ground, with the coastline of the Mediterranean brushing up against the bustling city of Tel Aviv, the Capital of Israel. The colors were bright, welcoming foreigners to this beautiful land. Stepping off a 10 hour flight, exhausted and on her own, junior Jenna Alcorn had arrived in Israel for her semester abroad.

When Jenna learned about the chance to go halfway around the world, she thought her junior year was the best time to do it. “This is the second semester of my junior year which is typically really hard for high school students and I heard my friend did this last year for the second semester of her junior year and it made it so much easier on her.” She continued saying, “being here really takes the stress off and it’s my first time in Israel so being here as a teenager is really going to influence the rest of my life.” At first, Jenna was nervous about traveling so far from home by herself. She said, “I was a little bit scared about not knowing anyone and making sure that I could function on my own without my parents.” The language barrier and the homesickness have been challenging for her, but the friends she has made have made it all worth it.

When talking with Jenna, we asked what she missed most and she promptly said, “MR. BURNS! I miss him so much! I DM him on Twitter.” While Jenna dearly misses Mr. Burns, she also misses her family here in Arlington. “I text my family almost everyday and I facetime them when I can.”

Her school, Alexander Muss High School in Israel, takes Jenna and her classmates on tons of trips around Israel to experience the culture and learn things outside the classroom. If you follow her on any social media platform, it looks like she’s on a different trip every day! They have been to Jerusalem (twice), which is the holy city to the Jewish religion. They have also taken a 7.5 hour hike through the Negev Desert, which is a huge desert that takes up half of Israel.

There is also a place called a kibbutz (kiˈbo͝ots) that Jenna has visited. She describes it as “a communist farm, kind of. Everyone who lives there has to pay to live there and it’s kind of socialist. It was interesting.” All of these trips give Jenna a perspective that she couldn’t have gotten in an America.

Jenna is very passionate about her culture, and has even decided to center her senior project around it. She said, “for my senior project, I’m starting a Jewish cultural club.” Jenna said it’s open to everyone. Jenna also said, “it’s for people to talk about not just Judaism and culture but also conflict, peace and solutions!”

Jenna is living the dream life in Israel, but she still misses home. When we asked Jenna what she misses at Wakefield she said, “when everyone was doing all of the protests for gun violence that really touched my heart because my roommate and one of my friends actually lost a friend in that shooting; that’s where they go to school. It really meant a lot to see that people at home really care.”

Jenna was very proud of Wakefield when she said, “I was showing all my friends the lives streams and the videos from school. I really miss the community and the support and just the political awareness at Wakefield.” 

This is such an amazing experience that one of our Warriors gets to have! Make sure to ask Jenna when you see her next year about her semester abroad and the Jewish Culture Club.

To learn more about this opportunity, click the link.

About the Writers
Elena Arrowsmith '19, Co Editor-in-Chief
My name is Elena. I’m a junior and this is my third year on The Chieftain! I love to go to amusement parks, and I also really love shrimp. I was the Arts and Entertainment Editor last year, so I like writing about music, arts and everything in between. I’m excited to be the Co...
Hannah Foley '19, Staff Writer
Hi, I’m Hannah Foley. I’m a junior here at Wakefield and this is my first year on The Chieftain. I will be entering my 3rd year of Varsity Basketball and my 3rd year as a Write Place Coach. I love to write, draw, take photographs, and listen to music. I enjoy going to the lake...
1 Comment

One Response to “Jenna Alcorn’s Semester Abroad”

1. elenaarrowsmith on April 13th, 2018 11:45 am

nice job lana! luv u girl

[Reply]

• Jenna Alcorn’s Semester Abroad

Features

Graduation 2018 was ALL CAPS!

• Jenna Alcorn’s Semester Abroad

Features

Mr. DeFranco Retires Leaving a Legacy Behind

• Jenna Alcorn’s Semester Abroad

Features

Students of the Month End the Year Right

• Jenna Alcorn’s Semester Abroad

Features

What Happens inside the ISS?

• Jenna Alcorn’s Semester Abroad

Features

5 Tips To Get through the Last 15 Days

• Jenna Alcorn’s Semester Abroad

Features

Our Students of The Month Are Going Strong

• Jenna Alcorn’s Semester Abroad

Features

Wakefield’s Amazing Asian Club is Amazing

• Jenna Alcorn’s Semester Abroad

Features

Wakefield Blows Away the Competition at Louder Than a Bomb Slam

• Jenna Alcorn’s Semester Abroad

Features

Vince Kasper Award Winners Get a Surprise!

• Jenna Alcorn’s Semester Abroad

Features

Students of the Month Give Advice on How to End the Year Strong

Jenna Alcorn’s Semester Abroad