The Night Had Baseball Written All Over It

Jimmy McGuire '16, Staff Writer

It was a calm, brisk night, much different from the way the whole week had been before. The smell of fresh dirt filled the evening air. Birds were chirping and the fans talked amongst themselves as they filed into the bleachers. This night had baseball written all over it. March 21st had finally arrived. It was opening night for the Wakefield Varsity baseball team, who was taking on powerhouse Hayfield Hawks.

“The atmosphere was electric and the energy made it a lot easier to relax and play”, said freshman first baseman Ethan Heckler. Once the game got underway, it was clear that this was a fresh Warrior team who was ready to compete. The teams exchanged runs in the early stages before Hayfield capitalized on a loose defensive inning from the Warriors to break the game open. At the end of the day, Hayfield held on to take the game by a score of ten to three.

Even though the game goes in the loss column, the team proved they had worked hard and could play with anybody. “The fellas played a solid game aside from a few moments. We will have to improve defensively but it was a nice showing”, said veteran Coach Dexter. Notable performances include junior pitcher Patrick Girard’s impressive pitching display and senior Alex Ward’s elusiveness on the base paths.