Sleep Survey Results

At the end of the quarter, sleepless nights are had by all. The Chieftain was curious as to how much sleep our student body actually gets. We sent a sleep survey to every Warriors’ Period on November 15th. 622 students responded; the results may surprise you.

Bedtime: When does #warriornation go to bed? 7% of our classmates go to bed at 8pm. 22% of our peers sleep at 9pm. 31% of the students polled go to bed at 10pm. 30% polled head to bed at 11pm. 10% of our population don’t go to sleep until after midnight.

Interrupted Sleep: After Wakefield has gone to sleep, how many times do they wake up in the night? 23% don’t even wake up once. 33% have disrupted sleep at least once a night. Almost half of our fellow warriors (44%) wake up two or more times a night.

Hours of Sleep: The American Thoracic Society recommends 7-8 hours of sleep a night. How does Wakefield compare? 4% get 4 hours of sleep a night. 6% of our peers sleep 5 hours a night. 15% of the students polled sleep 6 hours a night. Over 64% of #whs students get the recommended 7-8 hours of sleep a night. 11% get more than 8 hours of sleep a night.

Caffeine Consumption: Many turn to caffeine to replace sleep. Although 30% of our student body never turns to caffeine to stay awake, a whopping 41% of Wakefield drinks caffeine once a day. 23% of our classmates ingest this stimulant 2 or 3 times a day; 6% turn to caffeine at least 4 times a day to stay awake.

When asked to judge the difference in sleep hours at the end of the quarter, 45% of students polled get less than the recommended hours of sleep. With almost half of the student body getting less sleep than is required to function at a normal capacity, it is no wonder that the end of the quarter can seem stressful.