The Black Student Union: Why Wakefield Needs It

Back to Article
Back to Article

Takier George '20, Staff Writer

A group of seniors held the very first Black Student Union meeting here at Wakefield all the way back in October. They have been planning amazing events for Wakefield ever since. The BSU wants to promote unity and pride in who you are, and bring any and all people together because the BSU accepts everyone. It is a place where students’ voices are heard.

Right now we want people to be comfortable in going [to meetings] and become more active in the Wakefield community.”

— Senior Brianna Alexander, Council Member and Head Supervisor of Educational Development

Being the most diverse school in Arlington, it’s important for us to acknowledge and make the most of it.  The BSU is becoming a big part of that. Senior Kaylah Gillums said, “In Arlington, Wakefield has the biggest population of black students, and we’re in South Arlington, so a lot of minorities live here. We just want to make something where students of color [boys and girls] …aren’t counted out, there’s a place for you here!” This is needed at Wakefield because the SGA’s representation doesn’t match up with the black student population.

On Wednesday, January 30th during Warriors’ Period, Step Afrika will be coming to our very own Wakefield Auditorium. Step Afrika will be kicking off Black History Month with traditional step routines that will get you on your feet. Some of the values they teach are discipline, teamwork, and commitment, which are values that the BSU would like to uphold as well. To come to the show on Wednesday, ask your Warriors’ Period teacher for a pass; come join in on this once in a lifetime experience!

In honor of Black History Month, the BSU will bring back the much needed Black History Celebration here at Wakefield. During this assembly, you will hear different records of historic black moments, such as Martin Luther King Jr’s famous speech, the Emancipation Proclamation, and a poem about police brutality from one of Wakefield’s very own seniors, Araiya Mitchell. The BSU will end with a surprise tradition that many other BSU’s participate in, and you’ll have to come to know the surprise! Look out for more details on date and location this February.

One goal for the Black Student Union is to recruit as many new members as possible. The BSU is in it’s beginning phases and needs more support. Senior Brianna Alexander, Council Member and Head Supervisor of Educational Development said, “right now we want people to be comfortable in going [to meetings] and become more active in the Wakefield community.” Senior Oliver Gaither, Council Member and Supervisor of Entertainment said, “Our ultimate goal is for inclusiveness in the club.”

The BSU meetings are held every other Wednesday. Senior Milan Stokes, Supervisor for the Volunteer Committee said, “[a few meetings ago] we had our discussion on the N-word and how it impacts us, how we feel about people who are our friends, who are either of our race, or of a different race, that [do] use the word. We really want these discussions to actually be open to everyone, so everyone can put their ideas out in a safe environment.” If you want to be a part of the discussion on the issues black people have to face in our society, this is the club for you!

Make sure to join in on the conversation every other Wednesday after school in Mr. Jalloh’s room, C-325. The next meeting will be on Wednesday, January 30th! Snacks will be provided! Your opinion matters and the BSU wants to hear it!

About the Writer
Takier George '20, Staff Writer

Takier  George is a 11th grader attending Wakefield High School. She is an unswayed believer in the power of writing. She loves to write stories, poetry,...