Wakefield Upstanders – Week of Action

photo from @whs_upstanders

Upstanders standing with the Campbell Elementary banner

Hannah Foley '19, Staff Writer

The Week of Action is here! According to StopBullying.gov, 70% of young people say they have seen bullying in their schools. At Wakefield, the Upstanders takes action when people are being bullied. One of the ways they do this is through the Week of Action, a national event to promote anti-bullying and having safe spaces in school for everyone. Check out the Upstanders table in Town Hall next week for some activities.

Here’s what to look for:

Monday (10/22) – Wear PURPLE to support bullying prevention. The Upstanders will have purple ribbons to give you if you forget!

Tuesday (10/23) – Burst Away the Bad. The Upstanders will have balloons blown up for you to write something negative on, whether it is something someone has called you, or something you think about yourself, then pop the balloon to release the bad energy!

Wednesday (10/24) – Spread the Love. Come to the table and write a positive message, then post it on the poster and take a positive message for yourself…and of course a piece of candy.

Thursday (10/25) – I am Stronger… Tell Wakefield what makes you stronger. Throughout all lunches there will be a banner collecting what makes Wakefield students and staff strong.

Friday (10/26) – Sign the Pledge to be an Upstander. Finger painting and fighting bullying? Yes, please! Come leave your hand print and name on the “I Pledge To Be An Upstander” banner that will hang in the school for the rest of the year!

Ending bullying at Wakefield takes each and every student and staff member, so make sure you participate in the Week of Action to make Wakefield an amazing and safe place for everyone!