Warriors Start the Year Strong

Photo by Elena Arrowsmith

Photo by Elena Arrowsmith

Sophie Hott '20, Features Editor

It’s finally that time again, time for Student of the Month! If you are new to Wakefield, or haven’t heard, Student of the Month is a staff chosen award given to students who excel in their academics, try their best in class, stay after school, or are even just kind. There are plenty of opportunities to be chosen after this month, so just keep striving for greatness, Warriors.

It’s always nice to have some words of wisdom from students who have actually achieved the award, so this month we asked them, “What is one goal you have for this school year, and how do you plan on achieving it?

Freshman Tamzin Folz said, “My goal this year is to pass AP World. In order to do that I’m going to work really hard and always try my best.” Junior Alejandra Galdo said, “I hope to maintain the balance in my schedule this year and improve in my overall academic performance.” Last but not least, junior Hugo Sandoval said, “A goal I set for myself this year is to decide what college I will apply to next year, and I will accomplish this by going on college trips for COHORT and talking with my counselor.”

It’s important to feel the reward of being a SotM so the next question was, “How does receiving this award make you feel?

Sophomore Quinn Loftis said, “It makes me feel happy.” Sophomore Emily Graves said, “It makes me feel like my hard work is being rewarded and I’m very proud of myself.” Lastly, sophomore Zeinab Mukhtar (of Pizza with Zeinab fame) said, “The award makes me excited and happy because even though is my first month, its good to know I’m doing good.”

The final question was, “How does it feel to be Student of the Month?” Sophomore Louis Odem said, “Motivating” Senior Ellen Franzen said, “I’m really proud of myself for staring the year off right and for working hard.” Finally, junior Ethan Hemmings said, “It feels rewarding to be student of the month because it lets me know that my teacher thinks of me as an exemplary student.”

It is only the beginning of the year you can still be Student of the Month. All you need to do is try your best and make sure to be a kind and positive person in the Wakefield community.

The end of the quarter is in 7 school days, so keep striving for the grades you want. Congratulations to our first Student of the Month of the 2018-2019 school year!

About the Writer
Sophie Hott '20, Features Editor

Sophie Hott is a junior at Wakefield High School. This is her third year writing for The Wakefield Chieftain, and she is very glad to be back. She is the...