MLS Playoffs: Road to the Conference Championships

Back to Article
Back to Article

The teams are fighting for this trophy, the MLS Cup.

Photo found @MLS

Photo found @MLS

Photo found @MLS

Ayansa Mergia '21, Staff Writer

It has been a long journey since the MLS Playoffs started at the end of October. Now, we are getting closer to the Conference  Championships.We saw some of the best MLS playoffs game we’ve seen in a long time. We have the final four teams. 

Seattle Sounders 4-4 Portland Timbers 

Definitely the most disappointing match for some Seattle Sounders fans. The Portland Timbers advanced to the Audi 2018 MLS Cup Playoffs Western Conference Championship after defeating Seattle Sounders FC 4-2 on penalties after extra time in the second leg. Asprilla, Lucas Melano, Diego Valeri, and Sebastian Blanco scored penalties for Portland. Seattle’s goals came from Raul Ruidiaz and Handwalla Bwana, but Will Bruin hit the post and Osvaldo Alonso’s shot was saved by Portland goalkeeper Jeff Attinella leading to the Portland Timbers advancing to the final round. 

Sporting Kansas City 5-3 Real Salt Lake

Real Salt Lake opened the day at home against Sporting Kansas City with the score tied 1-1. RSL’s goalscorer in the first game, Albert Rusnak, was suspended for the return leg due to yellow card accumulation, as he has earned two yellows in the RSL’s two playoff games so far. Sporting Kansas City took the lead in 4-2 win against RSL. Thanks to the goals from Diego Rubio, Daniel Salloi, and Penalty from llie Sanchez who scored first half goals, and then Salloi added a second in the final minute to help Sporting Kansas City beat Real Salt Lake 4-2. They won their Western Conference semifinals series on a 5-3 aggregate. 

Atlanta United 4-1 New York City

Atlanta absolutely killed it throughout the two legs. Atlanta United advanced to the Eastern Conference Championships with wins both away at New York City FC 1-0 and at home 3-1, for an aggregate score of 4-1. Jose Martinez scored twice, including on a penalty kick in the 25th minute and a wonderful free kick by Miguel Almiron was more than enough to send the Five Stripes through. Atlanta United fans showed their love for the coach before the game, the former Barcelona and Argentina national coach who’s been so instrumental to Atlanta United’s success, has already announced he’ll be leaving at the end of the season, reportedly to head Mexico’s national team. Atlanta United advance to the Eastern Conference Championships!

New York Red Bulls 3-1 Columbus Crew

This game was never a question for New York Red Bulls as they were the favorites. They lost in first leg 1-0 at Mapfre Stadium, but the New York Red Bulls fought back defeating Columbus 3-0 at home. New York’s Alex Muyl scored in the 17th minute for a 1-0 lead that leveled the aggregate at 1-1 and Daniel Royer scored in the 73rd and 76th minutes to secure the series victory for the New York Red Bulls with a 3-0 win over the Columbus Crew. Daniel Royer was the man of the match.

Remember to tune into the MLS Conference Championships.

Atlanta United faces off against the New York Red Bulls. Atlanta United are stacked with good players like Josef Martinez, who has scored 33 goals this season and is the top goal scorer in the MLS. Another superstar to look out for is Miguel Almiron, he has been showing good form in his past few games scoring wonderful freekicks and goals. Atlanta United will advance to the final of the MLS cup.

The Portland Timbers will face off against Sporting Kansas City. SKC will advance to the MLS cup final, defeating the Portland Timbers in a thrilling 2 legged match.

Sporting Kansas City has been the dominant team in the Western conference, finishing top table. They have shown a lot of talent and skill throughout the MLS playoffs. They are my chose for overall winner of the the Cup. The final match up is on December 8th. See who wins it all.

You can view these match updates on MLSSoccer.com, ESPN, and FOX Sports GO.