Swim and Dive Take to The Pool

Back to Article
Back to Article

Swim and Dive Take to The Pool

Photo by Victor O'Neill Studios

Photo by Victor O'Neill Studios

Photo by Victor O'Neill Studios

The Wakefield Swim and Dive Team have had a rough start to their 2018-2019 season. Both the Boys and Girls teams have been matched against tough competition in their first three meets. They are focused on getting better as individuals, and as a team, while also continuing to have fun along the way.

Junior and Diver Bianca Ruiz said, “This is actually my first year doing dive. I started doing dive because I went to a meet last year to support my friend and I thought it was cool, plus I need a sport to do over winter.”

The Swim and Dive team is all about traditions, they do many things to prepare themselves for their upcoming meets. The team’s traditions help bring them together and built great camaraderie among one another. When senior Mussé Yimer was asked about the team’s sacred traditions, he said, “before meets we do a pasta party, we meet at one of our teammates houses, eat a lot of carbs, have fun, and prepare for the meet ahead of us.”

The Swim and Dive Team don’t always get the support they deserve. The atmosphere at the meets is like no other. It’s very warm in the swimming pool area and is a great place to forget about winter’s freezing temperatures. To support the Warriors all you need to do is come to the pool, sit in the stands in the upper levels, and be ready to cheer on the team. Bianca said, “Just come to the Wakefield pools and cheer, but don’t be rude or negative.”

The Swim and Dive team compete separately in the meets. Dive goes first, then the swim portion of the competition begins.

The Boys and Girls Swim team spent many days training for the first meet. The Warriors faced off against Justice High School in an intense match-up on November 30th. Unfortunately, they fell short and were not victorious as a whole, but there were many swimmers who stood out in their categories. Following this loss, the team has lost to Lee High School and Marshall High School. The Warriors look to keep working hard to dig their way out of the slump and get some wins on their record.

The Team competes in most meets on Fridays.

Check out the team’s schedule; They will be swimming against Lee on Friday, December 21st at 6:30pm in the Wakefield Pool. The team said this will be a good match up to see. Support your Warriors just before you head out for Winter Break, Wakefield!!!