Girls Soccer: Focus on Strong Season Finish

Mario Hernandez '20, Staff Writer

Girls soccer is about half way through the season, and they are hoping to turn things around for the better. While the girls started off the season slow with 6 losses, they were able to take 2 wins. They won 2 games last year, so they are at the point where they can beat their previous year’s record.

Esther faces off against an opponent. Photo by Victor O’Neill Studios

Senior and Captain Esther Morales talked to The Chieftain about what they need to do to focus on winning Conference games; what they need “is the confidence that the whole team has despite the losses we take.” The team also got a new head coach last year, and two new assistant coaches this year. This has given the girls more determination; they hope to turn this bumpy start around.

The first three games were rough for the team.

Wakefield vs. Washington-Lee was the first game of the regular season, and it was at W-L. The team lost 5-0, W-L. They did not show what they were capable of and were still finding out who they were.

Wakefield vs. Annandale was played at Annandale. Coach Neal said it was, “a tale of two halves.” During half time, the girls were down 4-0 despite playing an okay game. Once the second half started, the team scored a quick goal to minimize the scoreboard to just a 3 goal difference. However, the team was not able to come back and win.

Wakefield vs. TC Williams was the home opener. This game was one no one expected so early in the season. The girls fell 8-0 to the Titans and were not able to score a consolation goal. Although the girls started the season rocky, they didn’t give up.

The girls won their first game against Mount Vernon, and it was a shut-out! The score ended 2-0 in favor of Wakefield. Goals were scored by Junior Midfielder Matilda Laux and Senior Forward Sydney Darko, what a way to win!

The following game was against a tough opponent Osbourn Park. Although Osbourn Park had the home advantage in their favor, the Warriors were still able to take the win in a 1-0 victory. The only goal of the game was scored by Freshman Forward Marisa Temoshok.

Wakefield played one of their rivalries, Yorktown at home. The game was a complete blow-out, Yorktown took the win in a 8-0 shutout. The girls fought hard but were not able to compete; the team needs to leave this game in the past and focus on what’s next.

Last Friday night’s game was Wakefield vs. Justice, at Justice. The team had a slow start and conceded 2 goals in the first half, and was not able to come back. During the second half, Justice scored another goal to make it a 3-0 game.

Tuesday’s game was a close one, Wakefield played Marshall at home. The game started off in a stalemate where both sides were not able to find the back of the net in the first half.  The girls put up a good fight throughout the second half, but they conceded a goal, making it 1-0, Marshall at the end.

The team hope to take their next win at home Monday against Falls Church High School. JV plays at 5:45pm and Varsity plays at 7:15pm.

Come out and support the girls as they look too take their 3rd win.