Dual Language Immersion Rocks at Wakefield!

We have many wonderful opportunities at Wakefield.

Kimberly Rendon '20, Opinions Editor

There are a lot of things that make Wakefield special, our award winning artists, our amazing athletes, and something that we almost take for granted because it is embedded in the very culture of Wakefield, our Immersion program.

The Dual Language Immersion Program starts at Claremont Elementary School and Key Elementary School, moves on to Gunston Middle School, and finishes as students graduate from Wakefield High School. The program allows students to learn in two languages simultaneously and is so beneficial, that APS visited with students who have been a part of the Immersion program for their entire school lives to see how it has impacted them.

Watch the video here.

The Chieftain interviewed freshman Persia Zurita, who has been in the program since her time at Claremont Elementary School.

How did it feel to be interviewed? “It was really cool! I felt proud of the program and proud to be able to represent the school and the Immersion program itself.”

What is the best part of the Immersion program? “The fact that we’ve known each other for such a long time, and the teachers are so helpful, and just being able to learn in two languages which will be beneficial to us in the future for college and jobs.”

What do you want Wakefield to know about it? “It’s not just about grammar. It’s also about culture; in each unit we learn about different Spanish speaking countries and their cultures.” That sounds like a wonderful way to learn, Warriors.