Wakefield Showcases Our Diversity at Heritage Assembly

The long-awaited, crowd favorite Heritage Assembly took place Friday, March 29th. Through the annual assembly, we are able to share and learn about some of the beautiful cultures which are represented in our very own Wakefield community.

We did the Heritage Assembly last year, too. I did it because I want to represent my culture so people can know that nobody is less than nobody and we are all equal.”

— Sophomore Michelle Vazquez

This year, we travelled all around the world. From West Africa all the way to Iceland, our performers took us on a journey. When asked about why the heritage assembly is important, senior Melale Hailu, a performer in the East African dance group, said, “It allows people to be enlightened on other people’s cultures, so they won’t be subjected to stereotypes… It allows everyone to appreciate other cultures.” Junior Ruben Paredes, a dancer from the event, said, “Since we are a really diverse school [it’s important] to show off what people can do, what their backgrounds are, and who they are.”

Heritage is more than just an assembly, it’s become a Wakefield tradition that the whole school looks forward to, especially the performers. Senior Samantha Rios, solo singer and dancer, said, “I’ve participated in the Heritage Assembly since freshman year; it was my last time doing it and I just wanted to make it special.” Sophomore Michelle Vazquez, dancer in the Latin American performance, said, “We did the Heritage Assembly last year, too. I did it because I want to represent my culture so people can know that nobody is less than nobody and we are all equal.” 

While all these performers come from different places around the world, they all share a common pride in their culture. Senior Cavour El Mounir Junior Ndam, a dancer in the West African group said, “It’s to show other people, no matter where you are coming from you should be proud.” Junior Raheb Salem, a dancer in the East African group said, “I want everyone to be aware of my culture.”

That’s what the heritage assembly is: a way to shine light on the beauty of the diversity that makes Wakefield, Wakefield.

About the Writers
Carla Barefoot '20, Staff Writer

Carla Barefoot is a sophomore at Wakefield High School. This is her first year writing for The Chieftain. She loves discovering new music and movies of...

Alejandra Galdo Hernandez '20, Lifestyle Editor

What's up in the rodeo, sisters? I'm Alejandra! I'm a junior and this is my second year writing for The Chieftain. I love reading, wasting my time, and...