Santa Clarita: 16 seconds

Photo found at latimes.com

Police escort students as they board buses from Saugus High to a nearby park to be reunited with family.

Caine Poythress '23, Staff Writer

Yesterday, November 14th, there was another deadly school shooting at Saugus High School in Santa Clarita, California. The shooting broke out at 7:30am and lasted 16 seconds. The shooting left two students dead and three injured.

Paramedics rushed onto the campus, treating the wounded, and law enforcement officers searched nearby neighborhoods for a 16-year-old boy they thought had fled after the shooting. Authorities later confirmed that the shooter was still on campus but in critical condition from a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head.

The scene at the school at 21900 Centurion Way was obviously chaotic, with teenagers walking in a line behind armed law enforcement officers with arms raised in the air. Some students remained locked in classrooms for more than an hour amid the massive police presence.

Eventually, they were led off the school grounds by law enforcement. Many students were in tears.

As they walked, one student asked a question that echoes in all our minds when we hear of another school shooting, “What kind of a world is this?”

For more information, read this LA Times article.