Mental Health in High School: It’s Not All in Your Head

The pressure we students place on ourselves throughout our high school careers is undeniably excessive. This pressure could lead to anxiety and sometimes even depression. Anxiety is like being in a fistfight with yourself; it can be a constant war with your thoughts and insecurities. To have good Mental Health is a goal many high school students struggle with, especially when most of us are still virtual and can so easily disconnect from the world.

High school is the bridge between childhood and adulthood. It’s scary when you realized it is all going by in an instant; 4th quarter starts on Tuesday, April 13th. With all this in mind, having solid mental health is one of the most important things to learn in high school; learning to cope and understand your mind is one of the greatest assets to growing up. 

Growth is not measured linearly. We must be patient and kind to ourselves. We are all more alike than we are different. If your mental health seems shaky, reach out. Mental illness is not something to handle alone and it certainly is not something to put aside. We can not downplay the importance of mental health. 

There are multiple resources in Arlington with counselors and psychiatrists who are eager to help. It’s up to us to reach out for help, because it certainly isn’t all in our heads. 

Where to start if you don’t know where to start: (Call 911 if it is an emergency.)

Help is available by calling the School Support Line: 833-MeCigna (833.632.4462)

APS and Cigna made a School Support Line available to all high school students, families and staff. The School Support Line provides our community with mental health and crisis support, 24/7/365.

The School Support Line is available in multiple languages, including English and Spanish. There will  be no charge to any student age 14 or older, parents or school staff, whether they are a Cigna customer or not.

Don’t want to call Cigna? Here are other organizations:

Local:

• Arlington Emergency Mental Health Services: 703-228-5160 (Immediate help)
  • Children’s Mental Health: 703-228-1560 (therapist guidance)
  • Arlington County DHS: 571-570-9153
  • Crisis Link Regional Hotline- 703-527-4077

National: 

• National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-TALK (1-888-628-9454 for Spanish speaking callers)
  • Youth Mental Health Line: 1-888-568-1112
  • Child-Help USA: 1-800-422-4453 (24-hour toll-free) coping with stress 
  • Children’s Mobile Services (Cr2) 844-627-4747