Writer’s Block Lifted

Photo found at iajw.org

Tap tap tap. Delete delete delete.

Let’s start over for the 20th time in the last 5 minutes. Not sure what I’m writing about, so why am I even writing?

Sounds like I do not know who I am. I’ve never written this way before. Never had a journal or diary. My self evaluation skills and ability to be vulnerable are below average. My grades have been excellent, my gpa is better than the majority of my peers and I’m ranked in the top 50 of my graduating class.

Still… These colleges want to know about me. Has my transcript not been told enough?! Im a high school student who invests their whole life and train of thought around SCHOOL. Nothing is interesting about me. This college essay won’t write itself. I’m only 17, But now I look back at the years, seeing how I never took the time to actually have fun in life.

The last hour has been highly unproductive. Attempting to write, then scrolling on tiktok before attempting to write again. Outside my window is a nice summer day. Something to get my mind off this writer’s block.

Walking around my neighborhood gives me a new mindset. Spurs new ideas. Why couldn’t I think of writing about learning to cook with my grandma before she died, or the summers I spent as a lifeguard? Both events taught me more than one lesson, especially patience. As the summer rays continue to kiss me, I breathe in a new mindset full of creativity and determination. My exhale releases this idea of incapability and writers block.

I rush back home with an idea in my head. The topic of my essay. Learning the essence of patience.