2024: The Year of the Sequel

With 2023 coming to an end, we leave so many good movies behind. 2024 is looming, and with that, new movies are on the horizon waiting to hit the big screen.

Here are the most anticipated sequels of 2024. Some films are rated R; here is more information on R ratings.

Photo found at hindustantimes.com

1. Spider-man: Beyond the Spider-Verse
Spider-man is one of the most iconic comic book and movie series ever, the first comic coming out in 1962, and over those 60 years, Spider-man has had a lot of success. The first official Spider-man movie came out in 2002, it made over $800 million in gross income, the highest for that year. Over the next 15 years more movies and tv shows have come out, but nothing compared to the uniqueness of the 2018 hit movie, Spider-man: Into the Spider-Verse. It made over $300 million in the box office. It didn’t make as much as the previous movie, Spider-man: Homecoming, released in 2017, making $870 million (according to CBR and Box Office MOJO), but it won over the whole Spider-man fandom in how unique the art-style and the overall vibe of the movie. It was a hit, and just a few years later in 2023, Spider-man: Across the Spider-verse was released; it is only the first part of a 2 part series, with the 2nd part’s exact date still being determined, and is set to release in 2024. The plot hasn’t been released yet, but we know that it is the continuation of the last movie.

Photo found at thedirect.com

2. Deadpool 3
Deadpool is best known for breaking the 4th wall, humour, and his iconic sarcastic self.
Deadpool has had a fair share of media coverage from comics, movies, and video games. Deadpool, ex special forces operative turned into an immortal mercenary hideously scarred, sets off to find the people who did this to him; then after 2 years of him being his new immortal self, he fails to kill one of his targets, in revenge the target has his lover killed. After killing the man in revenge, he attempts to join her in the afterlife. One he is reassembled by Colossus and NTW, he agrees to help them to take down a young mutant, Russell Collins. The 3rd movie is still in production, and the release date is July 2024. As far as the plot, we do know that Wolverine is joining him in the new instalment to this series.

Photo found at www.space.com

3. Dune: Part 2
Dune is set on a planet called Arrakis, where the main character, Paul Atreides is sent to ensure the future of his family and people. The movie is based off the book, and was very successful upon release it made $41 million in the U.S alone (According to Box Office MOJO). The plot of the 2nd movie according from IMDB,his follow-up film will explore the mythic journey of Paul Atreides as he unites with Chani and the Fremen while on a warpath of revenge against the conspirators who destroyed his family. Facing a choice between the love of his life and the fate of the known universe, he endeavours to prevent a terrible future only he can foresee”. It is set to release in March 2024.

Photo found at dcupdates.org

4. Joker: Folie à deux
Joker easily was one of the best movies of 2019, telling the story of a depressed clown for hire who finds out more about his past leading to his alter ego, the Joker. (According to IMDB). After its pretty successful opening weekend (over $90 million) it went on to gross $1 billion ( according to Box Office MOJO). This sequel has Lady Gaga as Harley Quinn, so don’t miss it.

We don’t know what 2024 entails, but we do know that the movies coming out are going to be more than good; they are going to be amazing.