Start Your Sourdough Starter Now to Make Fresh Bread over Spring Break

Nothing beats fresh sourdough bread. There are many health benefits to eating it. To make sourdough artisan bread, it all begins with one big helper. Meet Jeffery, my sourdough starter. You should start your starter now if you want to be ready to make fresh sourdough bread over Spring Break. He was born at the begining of the month and didn’t begin to bubble until the 20th because of the cold weather. Once he was ready to go I tried making a sourdough bread that uses the addition of yeast to rise quicker to combat the cold weather.

Meet Jeffery, my sourdough starter.

Here’s what you need to make the bread.

• 150 g (½ cup + 1 tbsp) sourdough starter or discard, room temperature
  • 300 g (1 ¼ cups) water, lukewarm
  • 480 g (4 cups) white bread flour
  • 2 tsp rapid-rise yeast
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp sugar
  • olive oil spray for the bowl

Instructions

1. Measure the starter into a large bowl and pour in the water. Stir well to combine – I use a dough hook.
  2. Add the flour and yeast. Stir again to combine and make sure there are no dry pockets of flour. 
  3. Sugar and salt go in next – continue mixing with your dough hook or you can use your hands. Your dough will be very sticky and shaggy.
  4. Spray the bowl with olive oil, cover the bowl with a clean towel, and place it somewhere warm to rise.
  5. Check the dough has doubled in size. only an hour but if your ingredients are cold It could take 90 minutes 
  6. Mist your countertop with olive oil and scrape the dough on it. Use an oiled bench scraper to fold the edges over towards the center to create a round loaf. Oil a square of parchment paper and transfer the loaf onto it.
  7. Lift the paper by the edges and place it in a bowl to rise for a further 30 minutes. Meanwhile, place your cast iron pot in the oven and preheat to 220°C (420°F).
  8. Lift the bread out of the bowl using the baking paper and carefully drop it into the pot (be careful it will be very hot). Score the top using a knife (if the dough is very sticky then you can skip the scoring). Cover the pot and bake for 30 minutes.
  9. Uncover and bake for 15 more minutes. Carefully remove the bread from the pot – it should sound hollow if tapped on the underside. Cool completely on a wire rack before slicing.

And there you have it, fresh sourdough bread made from scratch in your kitchen! I hope you try this out and share it with your friends and family. Remember if you don’t make a mess while baking you’re not really having fun, you’re just baking. 

This is the full recipe: www.supergoldenbakes.com/quick-sourdough-yeast