Alexandria City Titans Win CHSL Championship

Photo found @ACTITANSHOCKEY on X.

The Wakefield/Alexandria City High School hockey team won the Capital Scholastic Hockey League championship on Friday, March 1st with a 4-3 shootout victory over Washington-Liberty at Prince William Ice Center.

The Alexandria City Titans came back from 2-0 and 3-2 deficit to tie the game at 3-3 with exactly 1 minute left in regulation time. After a scoreless overtime period, the Titans won the three-round shootout 1-0 to claim its first CSHL title since 2018.

Joey and Matt with Coach Wiggns after the big game.

Junior winger Joey Todd and senior center Matt Lis play for the Titans as Wakefield does not have enough players to formulate a hockey team. Senior Matt Lis had an assist in the CHSL Championship game. Matt finished the season with 12 goals and 8 assists in 9 games to finish seventh in the league in scoring, and Joey had 6 goals and 1 assist in 11 games this season. The playoff wins came against Woodbridge (quarterfinals), Colgan (semifinals) and W-L (finals). Junior Joey Todd said this of the Championship win, “I have been playing hockey since I was able to walk. I fell in love with hockey as a young kid. I do it because the energy you feel and the intensity of every game is worth it. Winning the Capitol Scholastic Hockey League Championship was the best feeling. Seeing W-L and Bishop Ireton hoist the trophy in the past years motivated me to be better on the ice. This year we finally did it! We finally beat them. Can’t wait to see what the future holds for us.”

Hopefully we get more Warrior fans in the stands next year. Thanks to Mr. Lis for the stats!