What to Wear During The Eclipse? Scientists Suggest Wearing Red And Green

Photo found at www.syracuse.com.

On Monday, when the Moon blocks the Sun, a lot of exciting things will occur. A few minutes of darkness will fall on your day, especially if you are within the path of totality, which stretches from Mexico to Canada. 

If at all possible, wear red and green together since our eyes will see the colors in a cool way under different lights. While the greens continue to remain vivid, the reds will become subdued and gloomy. This phenomenon, referred to as the Purkinje effect, transports us back to the earliest stages of human perception. Jan Evangelista Purkyně, a Czech anatomist, noticed that flowers looked different in color during a morning walk than they did under the bright afternoon sun. Two centuries ago, he proposed that the eye needed two systems in order to perceive color, which brought him very near to the correct explanation.

According to the Rochester Institute of Technology, Rod and cone receptors in the eye are responsible for vision. They perform somewhat different functions and are situated on the retina. Rods are the ones that become active in low light. They have poor spatial acuity and don’t aid with colors. We call this type of vision scotopic. Cones are the most active parts of the visual system in bright environments, providing great spatial acuity and color vision. We refer to this as photopic vision.

On the other hand, when light levels fall between brilliant and dark, a third vision occurs. It is known as mesopic vision, and it is accompanied by active rods and cones.This explains whether you feel that your vision is worse during dawn or dusk. The eclipse’s significance may begin to become apparent to you. Your eyes have little time to adjust to the typically gradual change that occurs at dawn or sunset because with totality, the sky darkens very quickly.

Suddenly, reds will look much darker than they did just moments ago. However, greens will be more vibrant. So, it is the recommended color scheme for clothing. It is worthwhile to intentionally create the presence of those colors around you because if enough people wear red and green, the quick shift will be quite obvious.