April is Alcohol Awareness Month: What is Wakefield Doing?

Photo found at scottsdalerecovery.com
Photo found at scottsdalerecovery.com

April is Alcohol Awareness month in the US which aims to educate people about the risks of alcohol abuse and promote responsible drinking.There are events and campaigns across the country to raise awareness about the importance of making smart choices regarding alcohol consumption. During this month, communities come together to support individuals struggling with alcohol addiction and to provide resources for treatment and recovery. 

We Interviewed Ms. Cerrud, the Substance Abuse Counselor at Wakefield to help answer a few questions students may have about Alcohol Awareness. 

Our goal is to increase sobriety overall and to increase healthy choices, but also not to make people feel alienated if they make unhealthy choices.

— Ms. Cerrud, Substance Abuse Counselor

Who is Ms. Cerrud? She regularly visits classes and does lessons on substance abuse to promote a safe lifestyle within Wakefield’s community. Ms. Cerrud can also meet with Wakefield students individually to talk about their own personal challenges they may be facing, whether that be about substance abuse or personal needs. She is in room A-120 if you want to talk. 

Clear Choices Collaborative, a group of students interested in promoting a health lifestyle at Wakefield, has come up with two activities for this month; “an event will be held on Wednesday, April 24th in Town Hall…simulating and using drunk goggles to see how alcohol would affect them…we’re also going to have twelve questions available, students will throw the dice and answer trivia questions from 1-12.”

What is the overall goal for the club? “Our goal is to increase sobriety overall and to increase healthy choices, but also not to make people feel alienated if they make unhealthy choices.” said Ms. Cerrud. Anytime a student needs help they can always meet with an adult that they personally know and trust at school. Talk to someone now while you are in high school, resources are free, and nothing is on your permanent record.

Right now it might not seem too serious in the moment, but it can becomes serious in seconds. Don’t wait until you have no options.