May is Mental Health Awareness

May is Mental Health Awareness

Every year, May is recognized as Mental Health Awareness month. The point of the month is to raise awareness about mental health issues, reduce the stigma around mental illnesses, and to  promote policies to help and support mental health and well being. Mental health influences the way we think, feel and act, impacting almost every aspect in our lives. Mental health conditions such as anxiety, depression, bipolar disorder and schizophrenia can affect anyone regardless of age, gender, or background. 

It is very important to raise awareness so people realize that getting help is not something to be ashamed of and rather something that could change their lives.

An important step in promoting good mental health is understanding it. Mental health month reminds us that it is important to get help, rather than attempting to deal with it alone. A lot of people think that getting help, or telling someone about their struggles, is a sign of weakness; this causes people to not get help leading to their condition getting worse and worse over time. So it is very important to raise awareness so people realize that getting help is not something to be ashamed of and rather something that could change their lives.

Dedicating a month to mental health will hopefully open conversations about mental health and normalizing the experiences of people affected by mental health conditions. Educational campaigns, community events and social media also play a big part in raising awareness. Sharing stories of people who have struggled and have recovered can also give people who are currently struggling more hope and optimism because it shows that recovery is possible. Additionally this helps show the importance of resources like therapy, counseling, and hotlines which helps make sure that people know where they can go for help. 

Even though there has been progress recently, the stigma surrounding mental health conditions still exists and is a huge barrier for some people seeking help. Talk to your school counselor for ways to find resources. Or, go to the Substance Abuse and Metal Health Services Website: www.samhsa.gov/find-help/national-helpline.