Warriors Fall 21-6 To Panthers

David Baron '18, Staff Writer

On November 13, the Wakefield Warriors hosted the Potomac Falls Panthers in a first round playoff game. This was the final game of the season for Wakefield. Our playoff hopes ended that night. The Panthers beat the Warriors 21-6.

Sophomore Quarterback Colton Poythress said, “The team played hard, but we had a few things throughout the game that didn’t go our way. We weren’t able to regain momentum. I have to give credit to Potomac Falls; they came to play.”

The game kicked off with Warrior Gridiron getting the football, but then they generated nothing on offense and punted. The same exact thing would happen for the Panthers and they quickly punted also. The defense kept dominating the game, and at the end of the first quarter the score was 0-0.

At the start of the second quarter, the defense for both teams continued to stop each other and no points were put up. That would all change when Potomac Falls forced Wakefield to punt. The Warriors faked the punt and senior Chris Robertson ran the ball for 36 yards and a first down. That momentum held on and the Warriors scored on a touchdown pass to Robertson from Poythress. The 2 point conversion failed, so at the half it was 6-0, Warriors.

During the first half of the third quarter, the Panthers quarterback threw an interception. The crowd was hyped. This was the turning point in the game. It wasn’t for the home team, the visitors would be victorious this night. The Warriors gave the Panthers an interception. They cashed in on that mistake and scored from a long touchdown pass.

In the fourth quarter, just after the Panthers stopped the Warrior ball, they also blocked that punt and got the ball on the 13 yard line, poised to score. In four plays, the Panthers scored and made it 14-6. On the Warriors’ first play back on offense Poythress threw an interception giving the ball back. Warrior defense stopped them and forced a punt. On the next drive, Colton threw another interception that ended 7 more points for the Panthers and a win.