Varsity Field Hockey Sticks to the Plan this Season

The Wakefield Varsity Field Hockey team puts in a lot of hard work. This season has been like a roller coaster. The girls didn’t start off how they wanted. They seem to have hit their stride, now. The key to a successful season is never giving up after the losses.

They are currently 4-5-1.  Off the field, they are very close. Senior Madison Holt said,”I love the competitiveness that the fast paced game brings and how our team acts like a family.” There are still a lot of games left in the season to help them improve their record.

The first game of the year was a nail-biter, but it slipped away in the final shootout as they gave up four goals losing 6-5. The two goals in the game were scored by junior Matilda Laux and sophomore Reina Cooper. The second game of the season ended as a 1-1 draw with both goals being scored in the second half. The goal was scored by junior Kate Capitan.

The third game of the season, also a part of their tournament, was a blowout as the girls ran away with the game in the second half scoring 3 goals, winning 4-0. Junior Kate Capitan scored 2 goals, sophomore Julia Harris scored 2 as well, sophomore Reina Cooper got an assist, and senior Madison Holt had 3 brilliant assists.

The fourth game was close, and the girls managed to pull away with a 1-0 win over  Annandale High School. It was all about the team work in that game.

Sadly after those games, they lost the next 4 games, 5-0 to Yorktown High School, 2-0 to T.C. Williams, 1-0 to Edison High school and 3-0 to Marshall High School. This is wear they had to regroup and become even closer to battle the four shut outs.

This week, they played Falls Church High School on Monday 9/17 and beat them 2-0. The first goal came from Lucy Greenfield, assisted by Julia Harris. The second goal by Julia Harris. They also played West Potomac, and won 5-4, in a sudden death shootout on Thursday. Lucy Greenfield came in cluth with the winning shot.

Come out and support your lady Warriors Tuesday, September 25th at home as they take on the Robert E. Lee Lancers.