Keep Your Money Safe: Don’t Get “Bank Jugged”

Photo found at wtop.com
Justin Sullivan
Photo found at wtop.com

Incidents of “Bank Jugging” have been popping up around the country, with even 10 cases in Fairfax. According to Tinkerfcu.com bank jugging is where, “A suspect will watch and follow a victim from a bank, credit union, ATM/ITM or check-cashing store to their next location. Once there, the suspect threatens or assaults the victim then demands or takes the victim’s money. Police say this type of crime usually happens when the victim’s cash is visible as they leave a financial institution or ATM/ITM.” By publicly withdrawing cash, you make yourself a possible victim for Bank Jugging. 

According to WTOP News, in one local instance, a man withdrew $9500 from a bank and began to drive straight home. “He was driving and noticed that his tire pressure was low, and so he pulled over,” said Sgt. Johnson Epperson of Fairfax County Police. Then someone stopped to “help” claiming he had a kit that could fix his tire. The thief took the money with him. The police later realized the man poked the hole in the tire himself.

Witht he holidays approaching, and more people withdrawing cash, how can you prevent yourself from being a victim of Bank Jugging? 

The first thing you should do is be aware of your surroundings. Put your cash out of sight right away as holding bank envelopes and open cash might draw attention. Never leave your cash unintended if you don’t want it to get stolen. If you ABSOLUTELY have to leave the cash in the car, put your cash in a locked glove box. Keep your doors and windows locked, and if you regularly withdraw cash from the bank, don’t go at the same time every day.