It’s Important: How To Keep Your Skin Hydrated in the Winter

Photo found at www.whowhatwear.com

During the colder months, there are a multitude of things that can make your skin drier. “Cold air, dry indoor heat, low humidity levels, and harsh winter wind,” are the main culprits, according to Healthline. But don’t worry! Dry skin is preventable. 

1) Right after you wash your face or body, moisturize! Soap doesn’t just remove dirt; it can strip sebum from your skin. According to Allure, “the composition of sebum is made up of ‘triglycerides, wax esters, squalene and free fatty acids, which together help to keep the skin moisturized,” which is essential for skin health.

2) Try cutting back on products that are harsher to the skin, like exfoliators or scrubs. MNT says anti-aging ingredients like glycolic acid, salicylic acid, or retinol can dry out the skin. Products with alcohol, dyes, and fragrances can also be more severe on skin.

3) As always, drinking water helps skin hydration, per Healthline. According to Harvard, doctors recommend about 4-6 cups of water every day.

4) Keep using sunscreen, even in winter. Even though the sun is out less, UV rays can still harm the skin’s moisture barrier. The moisture barrier “helps the skin to retain moisture, specifically water,” according to Allure.

5) Using hot water takes more natural oil away from your skin than medium-temperature or cold water, so try taking cooler showers.

6) Instead of rubbing your skin with a towel, try patting it gently. That allows moisture to stay on the top of your skin.