Wakefield Indoor Track and Field: Recap Before Districts

Even though the indoor track season feels like it has just started, it is now coming to a close. Both the boys and girls squads won their first two meets and scored more than 100 points in each. There were also some state qualifying performances, Ben Chapuis ‘25 and Owen Jacques ‘24 jumped 6 ‘2 and 6’ 0 to qualify for states in the High Jump. Kenedy Shields ‘24 also High Jumped 5’ 3 to qualify for states and set a new school record! Hosanna Connor ‘25 Pole Vaulted 9’3 to qualify for states as well!

Wakefield had their first Indoor Track Invitational on December 16, 2023 and it was a great result for the team. The girls squad placed 4th and the boys squad placed 2nd and only 3 points behind the reigning State Champions West Springfield! Chris Gilpin ‘26 ran a 6.59 55m dash to qualify for states and pick up a 2nd place finish overall. Silas Lesperance ‘24 High Jumped 6’0 to qualify for states and set a new personal record! Ben Chapuis won both the High Jump and Triple Jump competitions while also setting a new school record in High Jump  (6 ‘5)!  

On January 6th, Wakefield went to the CNU High School Showcase! The Girls 4x400m relay (Maddie Wearing ‘26, Eulalia Sarli ‘26, Quincy Daigle ‘25, Grace Armitage ‘25)  picked up a 1st place finish and a school record and narrowly beat Washington-Liberty, running a 4:18.95! Kenedy Shields ’24 jumped 5’ 0 picked up another High Jump Victory. The Girls 4×8 team with Addy Young ‘24, Eulalia Sarli, Quincy Daigle and AJ Jordan ‘26 added another top 3 finish by placing 2nd and just beat out Washington-Liberty. Hosanna Connor also placed 2nd in Pole Vault by vaulting 9 ‘6, and placed 3rd in Triple Jump with a 34 foot mark!

On the boys side, Liam Keish ‘25 ran the 1000m run in 2:38.61 and won by less than a second! The 4x200m relay squad with Chris Gilpin, Owen Jacques, Silas Lesperance, and Thuyon Smith ‘24 placed 2nd with a 1:34.11. In High Jump, Owen Jacques and Silas Lesperance both cleared 6′ 0 to take home a 1st place finish. Additionally, only a week later, Liam Keish ran a state qual at The VA Showcase in the 1000m run with a 2:36.05 time. 

With results like these Wakefield has a chance to bring home the Indoor Track and Field Liberty District Championship on February 1st and 2nd.