The Dress Code For The Met Gala Just Dropped

Photo found at hopemindfilm.info
Photo found at hopemindfilm.info

The Met Gala, commonly known as “Fashion’s Biggest Night”, just announced the dress code for attendees.The gala will take place on May 6th. The theme is “The Garden Of Time”, inspired by a short story of the same name by J.G. Ballard. The story is about a Count and Countess who live a beautiful, utopian existence that is threatened by a mob that moves nearer and nearer to their house. The Count is tasked with taking a flower from his wonderful garden until no flowers remain.  Vogue intreprest this story as trying to stop the advent of time and change by “trying to keep every grain of a fistful of sand intact in your palm.” 

The exhibition inside the museum itself is called “Sleeping Beauties: Reawakening Fashion”, and seeks to celebrate clothing so delicate it can’t be worn, according to Vogue. The co-chairs will be Bad Bunny, Zendaya, Jennifer Lopez and Chris Hemsworth, along with Anna Wintour.

The Met Gala is a fundraising event for the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s Costume Institute, which is actually named The Anna Wintour Costume Center after Anna Wintour, the editor-in-chief of Vogue, who has chaired the gala ever since 1995. People Magazine reports about 250 items will be displayed. The outfits featured in the exhibit will range “400 years, displaying everything from 17th-century Elizabethan pieces to designs from the 2024 season,”, according to W Magazine. W also states the Sleeping Beauties theme isn’t necessarily about fairy tales, but “nature as a metaphor for fashion.”