Varsity Baseball Hits It Out of the Park, Picks Up First Win

Alissa Karton

Wakefield lines up for the National Anthem before their win.

Colton Poythress '18, Staff Writer

On Monday, 4/13, the Varsity Baseball team defeated the Hayfield Hawks, 4-2.

The Warriors earned their first win behind a stellar complete game performance by senior and Pitcher Patrick Girard who had batters and base runners off balance the entire night. This senior ended the night with eight strikeouts, three walks, and allowed one earned run. He was solid throughout the entire night, and the final three outs in the 7th inning were strikeouts by Girard.

The Warriors were able to jump out to an early lead for the first time this season, and that seemed to boost the teams confidence early. They put pressure on the Hawks early and consistently found ways onto base. The Warriors scored two runs in the first and two more in the third, and were able to hang on to the early lead for the remaining innings.

Ethan Heckler, David Baron, and Colton Poythress had the Warriors’ hits, and Sophomore Jake Karton recorded two RBI’s. “We were just able to play relaxed by putting the pressure on them early,” said Freshman Centerfielder David Baron.

While the Warriors’ offense was working hard with the bats, the teams stingy defensive play is what helped them to earn this win the most. Even with runners on base, the teams defense executed the plays when the pressure was on. The middle infielders Jake Karton and Colton Poythress were able to turn two double plays late in the game to get them out of the inning, while The Pitcher Patrick Girard was able to pick off two runners.

They were able to finish strong in the bottom of the 7th, which can be a challenge for most young teams like the Warriors who’s 9 starters consist of four Freshman and four Sophomores. With runners on second and third and the games score at 4-2, the boys were able to shut the door and lock up the win.

The Warriors continue to improve every day and are rapidly improving as a unit. They just won their second game of the season tonight against the Mount Vernon Majors. This team is really heating up. Go see them play; their next games are Thursday, 4/23 @ Edison 6:00 PM and Friday, 4/24 vs. Lee at 6:00 PM.

Come out and support #warriorbaseball!