Warrior Baseball is 5-1 This Season

The+boys+are+looking+good+this+year%3B+come+out+and+support+them.+

Photo by Lifetouch

The boys are looking good this year; come out and support them.

Warrior Baseball is off to the best start to a season since 1987 according to Wakefield Statistician Frank Hancock. Key players have returned from last year, and the chemistry is obvious in the dug out and on the scoreboard.

Head Coach Mike Ruck said, “we have the age of a JV team, but the heart and talent of a good varsity team who are young and hungry and ready to play serious ball.”

The first game against Field was almost a shut out for The Warriors, with a winning score of 21-1, Wakefield faced their toughest opponent on March 18th. The Marshall Statesman won our second game of the season, 11-1.

The Warriors headed to Norfolk to play two games during spring break. Their first game was against Norfolk  Collegiate. The team had a fight on their hands and had a come from behind victory with a final score of 11-6. The Warriors had a 2-1 lead going into the 5th inning until Norfolk Collegiate scored 3 and went up 4-2. But the Warriors quickly responded with 2 in the next inning and then 7 in the next inning to win 11-6.

The Warriors couldn’t have won without starting pitcher Jaime Segui who pitched the complete game only giving up 2 earned runs. Junior Jaime Segui said, “I felt pretty good on the mound; the defense helped me out and the offense really came through.”

Some people that helped the offensive cause were junior Ethan Heckler, freshman Brody Karton and sophomore Mathew Parker. The next day they played Peninsula Catholic and won 8-6 in another come from behind win. A big help for the Warriors was sophomore Colton Poythress who pitched the final 4 innings and only allowed 2 runs.

The Warriors then took on conference opponent Lee High School on March 29. The final score was 11-1. It felt a lot closer if you were in the stands; it was 2-1 through the first three innings. Then, The Warriors broke it open and scored 9 more runs to end the game.

The Warriors’ last game was a 20-1 victory against Field High School on March 31. Our boys quickly went to work and didn’t let up as they picked up their fourth win in a row. Poythress said, “we are a year stronger and now it’s just time to show what we can do on the field together as a unit.”

They are now one win away from tying their total wins from last year.

The Warriors’ next home game is Friday, April 8 against Edison. Edison Eagles are tough competition and conference rivals.

Be there, #warriornation.